Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Stop. Observe. Re-focus.

After a long hiatus, I think it's time to get back in touch with my (admittedly fledgling) photographer's eye. It's been a thought for some time now, but I've noticed that the way that I look at the world has changed. The most recent realization of this was on a mini-photo expedition.

I once saw in frames. Now I don't. It's sad. Where before, I would look at the world for the potential it held (holds? I feel this should this be present tense), I now find myself taking things for what is before me. While these may not seem very different, they do possess different methods of being present in your space. The first requires you to look beyond the moment that is presented to you and see the moment that you create. The latter asks you to take things with a more guarded approach. Things are as they appear. Because I was once able to see in the former, and have now shifted towards the latter, I suppose it has to do with training, which presents both positives and negatives.

While this means that I can retrain myself to "see in frames" again, it is also means that it is possible for this training to deteriorate, and/or slip away from me once again. It's a tough battle to fight, as it takes a reassessment of one's perception of reality, so the thought that it can be gone--again--just like that is a bit disconcerting. But then again, it didn't seem to concern me much this past go-around.

So, from this moment, I've decided to pick up the camera again, and retrain my eyes to see in frames once more. I realize it'll take a bit of time--and I may never be as great as I'd like--but it's worth it.

For me.

No comments:

Post a Comment